A Putney school says staff and students are “shocked, saddened and deeply upset” after a 10-year-old girl passed away on a trip to a local leisure centre on Tuesday afternoon.
“Officers were called to Putney Leisure Centre on Dryburgh Road in south-west London at 2.46pm where the girl was reported to be in cardiac arrest,” Evening Standard reports.
The girl was transported to a hospital but died a short time later.
🚨BREAKING NEWS LONDON🚨 A 10 year old girl dies of a cardiac arrest at a London leisure centre just a few miles from where I live. What is happening? https://t.co/GWnGTmtFcp
— Dr Anthony Hinton💜 (@TonyHinton2016) April 20, 2022
“The tragedy comes just a couple of months after a young boy suffered a cardiac arrest at a soft play centre in Walsall, near Wolverhampton.”https://t.co/8qXteZZ8bc
— Laurence Fox ✝️ 🚛 (@LozzaFox) April 20, 2022
Lost for words
“A TEN-YEAR-OLD girl has died after suffering a suspected cardiac arrest in a West London leisure centre”
Police treating it as “unexplained”
An absolute tragedy
When will they put more resources into trying to prevent heart attacks ?? https://t.co/owDWB2K2Hx
— Craig Kelly MP (@CraigKellyMP) April 20, 2022
From Evening Standard:
A school spokesman said: “Our entire school community has been left shocked, saddened and deeply upset at today’s tragic events involving a pupil from our school who has sadly passed away.
“Our thoughts and deepest sympathies are with her family as they come to terms with their loss and we will do all we can to support them and also our staff and all our pupils in the difficult days ahead.”
A Putney Leisure Centre spokesman confirmed the girl had become unwell while visiting the centre.
“Our thoughts are with the family at this difficult time.”
A gym user who was at the centre at the time of the incident said the facility was was closed after the incident with users told there had been a “medical emergency.”
The woman said: “Staff were running around and there was a look of horror on people’s faces. When I found out what had happened I was very upset. The staff here are so friendly and they would have dealt with the situation as well as anyone could under the circumstances.”